Monday, June 11, 2012

Story telling textiles

Hope you all had a fabulous weekend. Hello Monday!

As a surface pattern designer I love to surround myself with colors and patterns. Patterns that tell a story are my favorite. Here are five of my favorite stories

Phulkari

This is a Phulkari hand embroidered stole with unspun silk thread. The bright colors are festive and scream ''Celebrate''. The fact that it has been passed on to me as an heirloom makes it all the more precious. 'Phul' actually means flower and 'Kari' is the art or the work. It is art from India and pakistan embroidered by women as gifts for the girls in the family getting married and never for sale in the market.


Modern Kantha


Traditional Kantha

This Kantha hand embroidered stole actually tells a tribal story. The images of a village, tree, animals, sun are the pieces of the story..Kantha is an art of running stitch embroidery made by artisans in west bengal in India...so inspiring!


Paisley/Ambi
My 2005 paisley pattern

I simply love paisleys and mangoes. Paisley is actually a stylized mango pattern. The pattern originated from India and is traditionally called an Ambi. First half of 17 century, the East India Company exported amongst other things, Indian art and crafts. Amongst this was the Ambi pattern rechristened into its modern popular name Paisley (from a scottish town).


Kashidakari

Kashidakari is a style of kashmiri embroidery on pashmina. This is actually my mother's that I have in my safe keeping ;) The colors are sublime, embroidered by hand and patterns all things floral and natural.

Batik

Batik is made by the wax resisting dyeing technique. This color of bright pink gives this stole its modern bling, though traditionally javanese batik was made of indigo, dark brown and white symbolizing the gods they worshipped.

Do you have any stories to tell ?

No comments:

Post a Comment